Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Race calendar woes...

Well, I was updating more items in my race calendar today. Adding some events I would like to do and two that I am definitely doing. One is the Marine Corps Marathon - I had thought about it last year but decided I was not up for it and deferred to this year. I also signed up last year for the Reston Triathlon for this year. This morning I was looking at the Team Z 2010 race calendar and realized...sadly...that the Reston Tri is the SAME day as IM Moo. I am so sad these are on the same day because I had thought about doing that road trip this year. I guess I will be watching and tracking from home. But at least that is an option!

In my quest for a race a month I have quite a few team events marked down with a "?" after them. One I'm pretty certain I'll sign up for - the Rumpass in Bumpass. The name is great, and it will be a nice warm-up to Columbia. Same with the Kinetic Sprint, which would make two for May. I have marked the Bath County Sprint in June and July is covered in the next paragraph. The Luray weekend is marked for August and finally Beach 2 Battleship Half in November. Luray is highly possible - I can do the Oly with my son as a relay like last year then go back and do the sprint myself the next day. I have never done back to back races, well not since I did back to back 5K's in about 2001! So this would be a first for back to back tris. I will figure out B2B as I go along. And maybe I will just do a relay leg for that.

For July I have the ever popular yet relaxed kickASTtri which will either be on the 4th of July or possibly the 3rd or even the 5th. This is a low-key, free neighborhood event that is staged at the Annandale Swim and Tennis Club in (of course) Annandale, Virginia. We do about an 800 meter swim in the outdoor pool there followed by a leisurely transition to the bike. The bike is about a 14-ish mile through the neighborhood streets of Annandale and Springfield. Everyone starts and finishes the bike together where we move the the again leisurely transition to the run. From here everyone just goes at their own pace on about a 3 mile loop starting and ending at the pool. There is a shorter option for those so inclined. After everyone returns we generally have some post race snacks. And for the past couple years we've even looked 'official' with race numbers worn on the bike and run! Here is a link from 2008 with a group picture. I for some reason never loaded pictures from 2009. Guess I was kind of busy last year. So, if anyone is interested in a fun little tri on or around Independence Day just e-mail me as it gets closer!

Happy training!

No comments: