Last week marked the true kick off to Ironman Arizona training. I kind of slacked off during the week as (1) I'd had a crazy weekend in Lake Placid (coming after a crazy weekend in Geneva, NY, coming after my week in London) and was tired. Once back home on Tuesday I had an emergency Moms on the Run (MOTR) meeting as we had a MOTR down and that important! Then on Wednesday there was an impromptu birthday dinner I wanted to attend. Thursday night was book club, but I actually bagged that so I could stay home and just -- catch up.
Then it was the weekend and I was 2 for 3 on my training. Saturday morning I did an open water swim with Coach Melissa at Lake Montclair where I swam from West Beach to Dolphin Beach and back. The water was murky as I remembered from the Montclair Tri two years ago but this time there was some gross stuff floating all over in it. I think it was goose poop, but I'm not sure. I think I'd rather not know what it was. lol After the swim Melissa gave us some stroke pointers. I'm now learning to start my rotation a bit earlier. Seems I can do it better when doing the catch up drill than when just swimming, so I will continue to work on it. I'll admit it feels better -- when I'm doing the catch up drill.
I was supposed to go for an 8 mile run on Saturday but I was hosting a little potluck at my place: the Ironman Arizona rogue group was coming over for a kind of meet and greet. I did not have time to run but I did manage to take the dog for a 20 minute walk. Riley sure was a happy pup! The potluck was fun and one person brought their seeing eye dog, so Riley had an inpromptu play date!
Sunday. What can I say? I had a 60 mile ride on the schedule. And itw as going to be very hot. But we were starting the ride at 6:00 AM. It was difficult to get up early enough for it but it was nice to get started so early and get done and be back on the way home by 11:00 AM. Since I do not plan to be Savage this year I did not need to do hill repeats. And honestly, the ride wasn't exactly flat! Anyway, I carpooled and rode with fellow IM AZ'er Kathy and it was really nice to have the company. We did two loops of 38 and 23 miles and Kathy led the first loop and did a great job. I was to lead the second loop but really had a tough time with a couple of the hills. She ended up 'taking us home' so to speak. We sure had great SAG support out there -- Team Z rocks! I did do OK on my nutrition. I missed on Gu - oddly enough of the 23 mile loop which may be why the hills were kind of a pain. But maybe not. In addition to the Gus every 30 I took the saltstick caps every hour and switched between water and EFS drink. Regardless, I did the ride and survived.
Today I actually got up early and went for a 20 minute run. It was half the time my plan called for but after my run I did take Riley for a 16 minute walk. I'll take it. It will be easier the next time. Looking forward(!) to tomorrow!
Happy and Healthy Training!
No comments:
Post a Comment