Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Race Report: Army Ten Miler

Sunday, October 4 was the 25th Anniversary Army Ten Miler. I will start with the day before, because I went down to packet pick-up fairly early in the morning. The location was new to me, but then again, this was only my third ATM. This year packet pick-up was at the DC Armory. It was a long Metro ride for me, but all on one line, so that was nice. The walk to the Armory once I got off the train was short. I was in an our of there in a flash it seemed. I headed back home to try to head to my son's cross country meet. However, I got home and found a message from him stating that he'd run in the first event of the morning and there was no need to go...so I touched base with my friend that I was having lunch with to determine what time we were meeting.

This is my dear friend, Nanette, that I met over 20 years ago my first day at a new job. She was hired about 3 months before and she was always so nice...and still is. It is amazing we've known each other so long, and our kids are friends, too. We even worked together for 9 years! We met up at her house a little before 1:00 PM and decided we were going to go to Moe's nearby. We had a leisurely lunch and caught up on as much as possible. It was so much fun! Then back to her house for some more catching up. Soon it was time for me to go...seems there's never enough time. Oh well...

Back at home I got ready for the next days' race, and the day which would start bright and early. Actually it was still dark out...I got up at 5:00 AM and was out the door before 6:00AM. I caught a nearly emptry train at Metro and headed in to the race start. I was there in about 20 minutes. I had time to wander around, go through security to use the port-a-potty, then back out so I could wait for a few Team Z people I was trying to meet up with. We used the same meeting area as last year. They found me right on time and the sun was starting to rise. It was so pretty out.

The ATM starts with a lot of great festivities: there were the Golden Knights parachuting, then there was a Blackhawk fly-by, then the National Anthem. Then the cannon (I think, or guns?) go off for the first wave of runners. There were 30,000 runners registered, I'm not sure how many made it to the starting line. I went in the second wave with Carol and Jason; Harriet was spectating. It took about 20 minutes to reach the starting line, which I thought was pretty speedy for that many people. I ran with Carol for about 2 minutes but knew with my lack of training I would not be able to keep up. I was just out there for a nice long run.

The course is pretty neat, because you start in Virginia, near the Pentagon, then head into Washington, DC where you get to go by lots of landmarks. There are quite a few spectators out here as well. The last couple miles are kind of boring because there is not much to look at - besides lots of other runners - from just past mile 8 to the finish. The finish however is crazy with all the people!

And it was a great day for a run! I ran at a slow but steady pace the entire time, only stopping for water and/or Gatorade at the designated stops. It got a bit warm but for the most part was just really nice. I ran into Johanna from Team Z while running - she looked great, just coming off of Savageman. I had a gel right before the third water stop, right after I passed the band playing at mile marker 6 - kids from Paul the VI High School. I love that! In fact, I love the music at all the mile markers - there were military bands (or parts of) playing near mile 2, mile 4, and mile 8. I just LOVE military and patriotic music!

About half way past the 8 mile marker we started the journey across the bridge back into Virginia. I guess it was the slant of the road, which went down on the right, but at this point my knees really started hurting. I was determined not to walk though, so I did not. Probably stupid, but I was not running fast, so... My knees feel fine today! Funny, this same thing happened towards the end of the Cherry Blossom 10 miler as well and I'm pretty certain it was the road slant as well because I've certainly gone distances much greater than 10 miles THIS year and never had that problem in training... Or in other races for that matter.

Heading towards the finish the crowds along the finish chute were awesome to see as you come around the last corner. I got through the finish and headed down into the masses. I had to wind along a bit so I could get to the section to get my finisher's coin. This one is similar to the other two that I have with the exception that is it MUCH larger! I'm guessing this is for the 25th anniversary. Very nice coin! After I picked up my coin I got into the food line and there I saw another Team Z'er - Kerry! It was great to run into her as well. She'd had a great race!

I hope to sign up for next years race but I have a bad feeling it is the weekend before the Marine Corps Marathon...which I am supposed to do next year. If all goes as planned with MCM I will not be doing the ATM...but there is always the year after.

My Race Stats:
Gun - 2:11:50
Chip - 1:53:24 11:20/mi
Overall - 17471/21289
Sex - 7121/9566
Div - 650/921

Not my best ever, but it sure was fun! The ATM is such a great event! Crowded, but really awesome. In my opinion. I think I just love all the military stuff. My best 10 mile time ever was my first, in 2001 where I ran just under 1:30. So my goal always will to try to get under 1:30. Who knows...maybe one day I will!

No comments: