Well, the weekend training schedule called for a 60 mile bike ride on Saturday and the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile +2 (in my case) on Sunday. However swimming (technically) was/is not on the schedule... So both workouts have been completed! And since swimming was not on the schedule I decided to take tonight off from the pool.
The ride on Saturday was ridiculously windy! OMG... At one point I think I was going 5 miles an hour into the wind on flat ground. I could have been going slower though since my Garmin did not work and my bike computer has not worked in a while. Maybe that was a good thing! So in addition to one of the longest rides I've ever been on it was probably the hardest. The ride also had lots of nice hills - especially the Snickersville Turnpike (love that name). Not the worst in the world but gosh, I sure felt them. It was also nice to get the downhills after...I need to work on my comfort level on descents anyway. I was able to ride a lot of the ride with a new guy on the team - he was nice and held back so I didn't have to ride alone. At one point we caught up to a few others and we had a nice group going. All in all it was a nice ride though. The scenery was very pretty. I am really looking forward to the 70 miler next weekend! The schedule calls for the Lake Anna Preview or the Apple BLossom Ride. Not sure which place I am supposed to go to...yet!
Sunday (today) was the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run with the team, followed and/or preceded by the extra miles. It was a gorgeous day for a run! Let me back track by mentioning that I went to packet pick up on Saturday afternoon, very late, where I picked up my race number and the numbers for two other teammates. This morning I got to Metro and took the train in to the Smithsonian stop and walked over to the race site. On the way I stopped at bag check to leave a few items I wouldn't need. Somehow I totally did not realize I used the bag check tag of one of the OTHER race bibs. I realized this when I started to put the number on - and I had already put the d-chip thing on my shoe. Nice... what a goober. Anyway, I ended up running the race with Es - whose bib I tried to use. When we finally started (it took a while to get to/through the start line - about 15 minutes) we did a lot of dodging. Actually for much of the race way we did a lot of dodging. Along the way we saw other Zers as well as Zers cheering from the sidelines. We are easy to spot in our green colors! So, our goal as IMers in training was to race in our Zone 2. I pretty much stayed in zone, until the last two miles. We tried hard to come in by 1:40...we were a couple of minutes off. Anyway, the scenery was beautiful, especially since it was as sunny day. The cherry blossoms looked so pretty and of course we ran by lots of the monuments. It was a tad warm for me, but it was a really nice morning for a run. It really was crowded though! After I got back home I relaxed for a bit then did my additional two miles, and did them on the treadmill. Next weekend calls for 13 miles. I guess I'll be ready for them.
And since tonight there is no swimming on the schedule I decided to take the night off...and tomorrow is a day off, too.
1 comment:
Man, it seems like EVERYONE is doing some sort of cherry blossom race... the same one? Probably.
Have fun on your days off!
Post a Comment