Monday, June 28, 2010

Weekend of workouts...

Last week I had already mixed my workouts up a little, so Friday morning I got up and did a short 30-minute ride on the trainer: 5' warm-up; 5' minutes single leg drill (alternating every 30 seconds); 4x (1' high, 1' low, 1' recovery); 3' high/hard w/10" sprints each minute; 5' recovery. It was nice to start the day that way.

Saturday morning I got up and ready to head down to Prince William Forest Park again. I have not been there in well over a month! I actually got Jeff to go along and we were meeting Carol and Pam. They were doing five loops, but we were only going to do three. When we arrived in the park we saw a fox! Before we started the ride we saw a couple of deer and during the ride we saw two more deer (unless they were the same ones!) and a snake! I love it when I get to see critters! Anyway, it was a nice ride – and nice to be in the shade a good portion of the time, too. I had programmed in Carol’s workout (modified somewhat) into my Garmin watch the night before because she had had such success with that. So, we started out from the parking lot...and of course I forgot to start the workout! I was able to get it going at about .76 miles in. Oh well. That mean that the 'actual' workout was cut a bit. It was fun though – it beeped at me if my heart rate was too low or too high during the particular portion, and buzzed when it was ‘just right’. I will definitely use this workout feature again, biking and running! Jeff, who has hardly ridden at all these days, had ‘no problem’ with any of the ride! Brat... We went almost 25.93 in 1:45. That is pretty consistent for me on that ride. After the ride we changed shoes and put our bikes away for a short run. We ran 1.01 in 11:12 – not a bad morning!

Sunday morning was to be a run/swim day. I showed up at
Wakefield Park in the hopes that people that I used to run with regularly would be there for the usual Sunday morning run around Lake Accotink. Success! Four people showed up and we headed out promptly. This is a nice trail run that is mostly flat, with two nice, short climbs – one up what we call the ‘dam hill’ because, well, it goes up hill by the dam. (Sadly, they are doing dam repairs now and the lake is very, very low. So sad...I feel bad for the ducks, geese, and other critters that call this place home.) Anyway, back to the run. There is another hill not long after that, and then there is a longer section that has a climb, rewarded by a nice section that is a longer descent. After that you are almost done! And just after I came out from the tunnel under Braddock Road I ran by Jill from Team Z! It was nice to see her out there. I have not done this run in several months. I’d have to look at my data online to see what it actually was, but it was probably back in February. It sure was nice to do that run again! Now off two swim...

I got to swim with my old Master’s team in a 25 meter outdoor pool, Annandale Swim & Tennis. It was nice to be outside! It was a fun workout with some strokes thrown in and some fast 50’s. Our lane messed up on the counting a bit but but I ended up doing about 2700 meters with the final 25 underwater. I even managed to go the entire way underwater... One of the guys actually did two lengths underwater...o.m.g. I will plan to go to a few more of these this summer!

Next up: 7/4 - The kickASTtri – 800 meter pool swim, 12-14 mile bike, 3 mile run

Happy Training!

No comments: