Both races were out and back and it seemed like the 5K was going to follow the same course as the half. I knew that Carol would be hitting a hill, called 'hospitalization hill' somewhere around mile 12 but did not know exactly where. Since we were following the same course I figured I'd get the same hill, but did not know...till I got out there running.
Anyway, the race started at the VA Runner store in the huge Central Park shopping area right off I-95 at exit 130B. Great store, by the way! (I found a watch that I love but don't need so I did not buy it; but I did get a fun shirt from their 50% off rack, too!) We ran through the parking lot in front of some stores for a ways then turned left then a quick right then another left to get onto a main road where most of the run was. We had kind of a small incline then we ran down the big hill. And that's when I knew I'd be running up the same hill as Carol! Of course for me it was only at mile 2. After going down the hill we made another left and went up another small incline to the turnaround at a circle. The water stop was here.
My 5K goal for this year is to run them completely and make no water stops if at all possible. I did not stop for water on Thanksgiving at the Virginia Run Turkey Trot and I did not stop for water yesterday either. It was raining, did I really need water? I almost started walking going up that hill, but instead just slowed even more... One person passed me going up that hill, so I made it a point to pass her after I got up and over it. I heard one other person catching up with me and as much as I was hurting by then I did not let her catch me and managed to sprint (for ME that is) to the finish. I was really hoping to break 30 minutes, but...I did not. However I did knock 1 minute and 37 seconds off my turkey trot time on a harder course. So I was pretty happy with that.
Official results: 30:49, 73 of 173 runners, 32 of 100 female runners, and 5 out of 11 in my age group! This was a fun race and I would do it again, or maybe consider the half marathon if trained for that distance.
By the time I finished it had started raining harder so I was feeling for those half marathon folks who would still be out there for a while. Carol said she was like a drowned rat by the time she finished. Bummer. I had brought a change of clothes with me, so it was nice to get out of the wet stuff. Except I brought my crocs for shoes, and you know, they don't work sto well in the rain. My dry socks got a little damp walking around. On my way out of Central Park I stopped at Caribou Coffee for a Lite White Berry latte (mmmmm) and a white chocolate covered pretzel stick. Very nice treats for the rainy ride home!
Next up: MADD Red Ribbon 5K Run, December 31 at 4:00PM!
And I got good news this morning: I received notification that I got an entry into the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run on April 11, 2010!
No comments:
Post a Comment