Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Race Report: Run with Dad 5K

Sunday I participated in the Run with Dad 5K with my younger son! It was a perfect morning for a race. The weather was just a tad cool at the start and it was warm when we finished. The race was on the same course as the Run Your Heart Out 5K from earlier this year. So this time I knew what to expect! 

Patrick and I arrived in plenty of time - even after a late night celebrating my Aunt Shirley's 75th birthday the night before. We hit the track for a little warm up 1200. We got a chance to say hello to my friend Kim - who ran this with her family! How fun is that? I was very happy to be able to do the race with my son. 

We lined up on the track, as the race starts and finishes on the track at South Lakes High School. The Reston Triathlon does as well, and it really is a great venue for events! I told Patrick he should move up as the course would be crowded. It was but did not seem to be quite as crowded as in February. I should have seeded myself a little further up as well as I passed quite a lot of folks in the first mile or so. 

Anyway, after about three quarters of a lap around the track we head out and pick up the Reston pathways. This was great because once we got onto the path we had trees covering us and the temperature dropped a bit. Nice! This is a fun course because we go through two small pedestrian tunnels. The tunnels echo nicely! The trails are nice and rolling but there is one short and steep part. Oh, in addition to the hill to get back up to the school property then the track. I love the lollipop course. I got to see some of the front runners before the split right after mile 1. Man can some people run fast! During mile two I was passed by three stroller dads! One of whom I had predicted would pass me, but I later passed him back! I also caught up with a guy in a Spurs jersey. Woohoo! We were both looking forward to the game later that night. In case you missed in, the Spurs won in in 5 in  fine fashion! 

During the first and last (I think) miles I grabbed a cup of water on the run but never stopped to walk. I may have slowed and definitely slowed during the final hill and at  the top before I got back down to the track, but was very happy I did not walk. 

Almost Back on the Track!
(Courtesy of the PR Races Flickr page!)
Once I got on the track I saw my son! He had finished several minutes before me. Note: My son ran track and cross country in high school; 10 seasons, total. He has not really done any run training since his final meet (outside some running earlier this year at school); The little turd beat me by about 5 minutes! But it's all good. Something to work towards. (haha) As I got to the final straight-away I picked up the pace and sprinted to the finish. My goals were to (1) beat my February time and (2) go under 30 minutes. Happy to report that I did both! My final time while not a PR for the year was 29:48 which was good for 6 of 24 in my age group. I'll take it! 

Kim also got a couple pictures for me:

Post-Race with my Son!

Post-Race with Kim!

Thanks for taking the pictures, Kim! I just love the colors on the 2014 South Lakes High School Seniors Wall! Anyway, what a fun way to start the day! Well, anytime I get to run or race is a good day! 

Next up, if you see my crazy count down timer up on the right, is a very special birthday for me. That morning I will be running with a group of my friends at the Women's Distance Festival! This will be a great way to start of my 50th year! Below is a map of the race!

Looking forward to this race!


Happy and Healthy Training!


2 comments:

Kimberly Westrich said...

Great recap and thanks for the shout out! See you for the Women's Distance Festival, birthday girl :)

gmgizmo9 said...

Thanks, Kim! Yes - see you soon! Hope the rest of your San Diego trip was a blast!