Monday, April 9, 2012

Ironman training has begun...

After a successful ride yesterday I can now say that Ironman Lake Placid training has officially begun! Yesterday I went on (1) my first outdoor bike ride since Ironman Arizona back on November 20 and (2) my longest ride since then. We had a 70 mile ride on our schedule (yikes) and I had only gone as far as I think a little over 27 miles! We ended up going 75 miles because our 40 and 30 mile cue sheets were ‘actually’ 42.6 and 33.2. Yeah... I have been doing just maintenance bike rides of about an hour to an hour and a half in length – aside from the one that was about 2 hours or so long. I think the reason my legs held up so well yesterday was due to my good marathon training! Whatever it was I’m not taking it for granted. The biking will get serious now and I’m looking forward to it!

Just a week ago I ran my 10th
Cherry Blossom 10-Miler! I had a pretty good day – my third fastest time ever and just two weeks after my PR at the Shamrock Marathon! I felt pretty darned good! The Cherry Blossom race is really super crowded these days with well more than double the people from the first time I ran it in 2001. Lots of dodging folks at the beginning and really just crowded the entire time. But it is kind of how I feel like Spring has sprung after running this race! And now that they change the clocks (Spring Forward) before the race I get a ‘normal’ amount of sleep the night before race day. Well normal for me... Win!

So, today we are 103 days out from
IMLP...I cannot believe we are almost down into double digits on the countdown. When the heck did that happen? And even before that day arrives – we are now less than 8 weeks out from the Rev3 Quassy half iron tri. I hear it is very hilly! This makes it a perfect training race / tune-up for Placid! And shoot, in just 5 days I’ll be just getting into the water for the first triathlon of the season – the Rumpus in Bumpass Oly! I’m not sure what the waves are yet but the race starts at 10AM on Saturday morning. I’m sure the wave information will be coming out very soon! Eek!! This will be my fourth Rumpus race - third Oly and I've done the Sprint once. I'll be carpooling with Carol on race day - yay! And an old friend will be doing his very first Oly here!

Happy and Healthy Training!

No comments: