Monday, November 7, 2011

One brick closer...

Last week was a recovery week, starting out my taper. Yay for both! I even got all my recovery workouts in – double yay! Saturday was another brick – 30/8 – that I decided to do out of Wakefield Park in Annandale. I arrived at about 7:20 and it was just getting light out. Met up with Carol who was going in to swim then run 4 miles first before meeting me for my 8 miles. Pam could not join us this time. I think I got moving on the bike at about 7:34. Not too bad. I did manage to gouge some skin out of my right hand while trying to remove my bike bump thingy off the valve of my tire. That’s what I get for not putting the air in at home! Was this a sign?

The bike ride went fairly well. I started off pretty chilly – especially my hands and feet – but I pretty much warmed up except for my feet. I saw a few runners and the only other crazy biker was someone who was riding their bike to get from point A to point B. I did the usual loop in North Springfield/Ravensworth with extra looping here and there. All in all I got in 29.1 miles. On the last mile or so of the ride I was going down a hill and nearly had heart failure when Sammy Squirrel ran across in front of me. Thankfully he kept going and did not do one of those crazy change directions moves...

Back at the car Carol was waiting having finished her swim and the first four miles of her run. I had a pretty fast transition (probably faster than race day – ha!) and we were off! We just did a straight out and back to Lake Accotink and back. We actually ran towards the dam where we turned left and went up the park access road. At some point along the way my feet were completely warmed up! We were planning to pick up the path at the end of the access road, but there was a couple getting married on it! So we excited the park on to some ‘other’ road till we hit our four miles. Then turned and did the reverse. All was going well till about a half mile left when I tripped (over my own feet I think) and fell. On the same knee as two weeks ago. This knee was still healing. Can I just say – ouch! I tore the scab off it and re-bruised it. It’s very pretty now. So happy I kept my bike tights on over my tri shorts!

After we finished it was FIVE GUYS! I love their pickles!

I picked up an additional burger to take home to Patrick (War Eagle) who was visiting for the weekend. We later had dinner plans to meet some friends for Japanese style steak house food – yummm. After dinner we went back to their house to watch the ‘game of the century’: LSU v. Alabama. We stayed for about an hour of the game as then I dropped Patrick at the mall to meet up with a friend for movies and visiting. I watched the rest of the game at home...

Sunday was a training day OFF! I did a few things around the house and drove Patrick back to the airport and basically just chilled with the dog and watched movies. It was a lovely day!
Now, I’m trying not to count days to Ironman Arizona...but it is hard not to! YIKES! I’m nervous but super-excited! Fortunately this weekend I have the Richmond 8K – which is really an zone 2 training run – to look forward to. That will sort of keep my mind off things. (Other than the fact that before I leave for Richmond on Friday I have to drop my bike off so it can get transported to Arizona! Yeah, my mind will be pretty preoccupied!) After I'm done running I will then cheer on Carol in the marathon. It turns out I’ll know a few others running the full and look forward to cheering them on as well!


Happy and Healthy Training!

Next Up:

November 20 – Ironman Arizona – Holy Cactus!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

That area is good for a brick. I did 56 there once, though, when I was training for a helf and Ben was still an infant so I didn't want to spend a lot of time driving to somewhere actally interesting to ride. That was too much! Hope you are feeling great!