This weekend I did something different. I did brick workouts on both days! I missed a bike ride on Thursday because I really wanted to attend the Patriot District Outdoor Track and Field Meet. My son was not running, though he did go as a 4x800 relay alternate. Anyway, it was to be a tough competition between four of the eight teams attending – my son’s school included. Well, his team won by 26 points! And the relay (that my son did not run in) not only won they broke the meet record of 8:02 with a time of 7:55! Here are the results:
Men - Team Rankings - 17 Events Scored
1) Annandale 124
2) Lake Braddock 98
3) Woodson, W. T. 88
4) Williams, T. C. 84
5) South County 48
6) West Potomac 39
7) R. E. Lee 35
8) West Springfield 11
There was a very exciting and close race in the boys 1600 – the top two times were 4:18.19 and 4:18.28! Plus, the top seven finishers all qualified for states as they came in under 4:23.09 – the qualifying time. Wow!
So…back to my weekend update. I did not bike Thursday and knew I needed to make it up on the weekend. I’d planned to go to Prince William Forest Park on Sunday, but Carol twisted my arm(!) because she and Pam were going to be there on Saturday to do about 25-ish miles/three loops, followed by a 30 minute run. I decided to make that my brick. Friday I planned to run about 6 miles after work, but I was not really feeling ‘it’. (And it rained...and hailed out!) So I just did not do it. So I decided after my shorter Sunday bike ride I would do another short run.
Saturday we met at 9AM and got our stuff organized and we were off. Carol had a planned workout, too! We biked about 2.5 miles (warm-up) to the ‘start’ of the loop where we proceeded to do the following: 2x 8 minutes hard, 3 minutes easy; 12 minutes hard, 2 minutes easy; 2x 20 minutes hard, 2 minutes easy (or something like that). Then the remainder back to the parking lot would continue to be cool down. This worked out about perfect because as we were close to finishing the 3rd loop where we can go back to the ‘start’ or turn we finished the second 20 minute session and turned to head back to the lot.
Back in the lot we regrouped and went for our 30 minute run. This run was to be the first 15 minutes at long run pace and the second 15 minutes at marathon pace. This time I actually managed to run (though very slowly) up this one hill that I walked the past two times I tried. Yay for me! I fell back at this point but caught them around the 15 minute point when they took a short walk break. We ran a total of about 2.75 miles. What a great workout. Thanks again, Carol and Pam!
Sunday morning I had some errands to run so I did not get started till Noon! Good thing it was not super hot out. I planned to ride this nice loop of about 13.5 miles from my front door. For a change of pace I used my old Cannondale road bike. I wanted to see how much difference using a triple went. It turns out not much. But who knows if I’d ridden ‘fresh’ (i.e., not having ridden hills and hard the day before)? Anyway, all went well on my ride! I even got to see and hear a fighter jet of some kind (my guess was an F-15) fly overhead when I was about 10 or so miles into the ride. The Joint Service Open House at Andrews AFB was this past weekend and I’m sure they way a fighter flies, it is not that far! Finally, at about 1.5 miles from home while at a light – where the street goes uphill – I was behind one car when the light changed. When I tried to get going my foot popped out of the pedal. Yikes! I ended up missing the light so I dismounted and walked over to the other side of the street to the crosswalk to make sure I would get across during the next cycle. Unfortunately, once you cross on the other side it is awfully hard to get back to the side of the street I needed to be on. So at this point I altered the route of my return trip and added about an extra mile to the distance. All in all I rode about 14.5 miles.
Once I got home it was time to brick! I went out for about a 25 minute run of 2.25 miles. About a mile or so into my run I came across a white splotch in the street. My first thought was “ooh, a hash run!” Well, funny enough, I had come across someone’s hash course! Because I then found a marking for a true trail and even more flour splotches! It was going the same direction I was, even! Funny, not even two months ago I would have had no idea what it was. I did not continue to follow the trail though as it was not going the way I was! But it sure was funny to see and recognize it! Thanks for the Hash Runs, Team Z! Anyway, by the run it felt pretty warm out to me! But all in all solid workouts for Sunday!
This week I guess I will take it somewhat easy since Columbia is 6 days away. Actually it is less when you factor in the start time! I will not do any running or biking hills this week! My plan for this week – unless something happens – is to do an easy run tonight and Wednesday and an easy bike on Tuesday and probably Thursday… There will be swimming of course Tuesday and Thursday. And Yoga tonight! Saturday will be a short bike and run brick of 30 and 15 minutes.
Happy Training!
No comments:
Post a Comment