Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fabulous run...

Well, my goal before my long weekend with my girlfriends was to run 12 miles. However...things did not quite work out that way and I only ran 5. And I still ran it on the treadmill... But it was all good. I knew when we got down to the Keys I would actually have time to do a 12 mile run. The question is, would I?

We spent our first night in Key Largo then drove to Key West the next morning. That took all day, actually, as we were on MOTR time. First we stopped for breakfast. Then we stopped at a couple of sandal outlets. Then we had lunch. You get the idea. We finally made it to our hotel in Key West. The next morning we already had massages planned between 9AM-12PM. Two each at 9, 10, and 11. I decided I would take one of the 11AM slots and go on my run first. I knew there was *always* a chance I would not do that, but felt pretty positive. The night before I bought my Gatorade and in the morning I got up extra early, walked over to the convenient donut shot for a small latte and plain bagel with peanut butter. At 8:20 I was ready and left for my super nice first outdoor run in a l-o-n-g time.

Key West is about 4 miles long and 2 miles wide. If I ran the entire perimiter I would get my 12 miles in! I did not do quite that but I first did a 8.5 mile loop and saw a lot of cool sights and people and a lot of roosters crowing along the way. Roosters don't just crow at the break of dawn, either. A lot of the run was along the water and was nice and breezy. I saw a few other runners and some cyclists, but they were just casual riders. Running through the different areas of the island was interesting, how it changed from section to section. And I guess the coolest thing was running to the Southern most point in the United States. I don't have a picture of it (from my run anyway) but it is there on my Garmin after uploading the run! I took a short break and then did another 3.2 miles, so all in all 11.7 miles. I kept a pretty steady pace of about 10:46 per mile, too. And of course, the run was mostly flat, just like the Shamrock Half will be. Fabulous run!

And of course, after the run was the massage. It felt nice but not nearly as nice as my usual massage therapist. And that's OK - I have my next appointment with her already set up. Anyway, I felt really good about getting in the run I was supposed to while on vacation. It is always so easy to just *not* do the workout. The rest of my girls' weekend trip was fun and as usual we have some hilarious memories and pictures to go along with them. Our next trip is already in the planning stages... The next two of them, actually!

Happy training!

No comments: