I just put up a countdown timer to the 2016 CrossFit Open. I’ve been doing CrossFit for about a year now. Every year about this time – well every year since they’ve been doing them – the Open is held. The Open is a worldwide contest basically to test yourself over the course of 5 weeks. If you are super fit you go on to qualify for Regionals, then perhaps the Games. But just last year (I think) they allowed scalable workouts, or WODs (WOD = workout of the day). If the WODs weren’t scalable I very likely would not be able to do them! The first WOD will be announced Thursday, February 25 – and every Thursday for the next four weeks – and each contestant has till Monday, February 29 to complete the WOD and enter in their score. Then you’ll see how you stack up against everyone in your age group in the world, the United States, the region (Mid-Atlantic), or just your own gym, or ‘box’. My box is Mount Vernon CrossFit! http://www.mtvernoncrossfit.com/
You can find lots of good information on the Open and other tidbits at the following links:
CrossFit
What is CrossFit?
Tips on the Open
Beginners Guide to the Open
What is the Open?
Anyway, I’m anxiously awaiting the announcement of the first WOD, 16.1! Sometime my box does prior Open WODs, and I’ve done three different ones:
-14.1 (complete as many reps as possible in 10 minutes of: 30 double unders and 15 power snatches (75/55#)
-14.2 (every 3 minutes, complete 2 rounds of: 10 overhead squats and 10 chest to bar pullups – thank goodness for scaling!)
- 14.4 (complete as many rounds and repetitions as possible in 14 minutes of: 60 calorie row, 50 toes to bar, 40 wallballs 20/14#, 30 cleans 135/95#, 20 muscle up – again thank goodness for scaling)!
Aside from CrossFit, I’ll be starting up running again as I’ve got the Monument Ave 10K on April 9. This will be my fourth year and I’m excited to go back and run this fun and entertaining race in Richmond! I hope to get a 5k in the latter part of March as a tune up race.
Happy and Healthy Training!
No comments:
Post a Comment