Friday, April 17, 2015

Swim Meet Report: Colonies Zone 2015

Last Saturday I participated in three events in the 2015 Colonies Zone swim meet! This is a three-day event (Friday - Sunday) which I've done before, but only the Friday night events. I swam the 1650 the first time and the 1000 the next two times. It's been a few years since I've participated. You can read the Rabbit rap on this, here!


Initially I thought I'd participate in several of the Saturday and Sunday events. Carol the Killer STUR was only going to do Saturday events, because she already had the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler on tap for Sunday - her 17th time in a row! Anyway, Margie the Beast suggested only swimming on Saturday - so I was cool with that.

Looking at the event options for Saturday, I was a little bummed, because I'd wanted to try the 100 fly and do the 100 IM. Unfortunately, those were only available on Sunday. So...it was either go big, or go home! I mean, I could have played it safe and entered the 100 free and the 500 free, but I decided what have I got to lose, and signed up for the 200 fly and 200 IM. I think I did the 200 IM once in a high school meet - like in 1980! Margie was in for the 200 fly, 50 breast, and 50 back. Carol was in for the 100 free and 500 free - Bay Swim prep! All three of us did the 50 fly.

About a week out from the meet they posted 'psych sheets' so you could see your competition and what not. I had no clue when I entered about what times to put so I went with 4:30 for the 200 fly and 3:45 for the 200 IM. I figured come the day of the meet I just had to get 1 second under those times (and not get disqualified) and I'd be happy! The psych sheets showed me that I was one of 15 in the 200 fly and pretty much seeded last. But I was also the only one in my age group! Sweet! I was close to last in the 200 IM, but here I was third of three in my age group. Bonus! 

Here is Killer, the Beast, and Savage (that's me) about halfway through the meet! 
"Oh! We're halfway there...!"
(aka Happy 200 fly / 500 free finishers!)
You can check the actual results, here - just click on the event to see the results. As it turns out, I was not DQ'd in the 200 fly or the 200 IM so I got bling! I came well under my 200 fly goal with a 3:31.59 and nicely under the 200 IM goal with a 3:18.78. Sadly, I was a good second over my 50 fly seed time of :42.31 with a :43.98.
Zones Bling!
Needless to say, we had a great time at the meet and I would definitely do the 200 fly again! It couldn't have been that bad - see us all smiling?
200 fly again? YES!!
Hopefully we will all be smiling after we conquer the Rock Hall International as relay team "Fat Bottomed Girls!" 

Next Up: Crystal 5K (tonight!)


No comments: