Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 in Review

Last year for the first time I did a year in review recap of my training and race distances for the year as well as the two years prior. It is time for this years! This takes into consideration the four miles I plan to run tonight in the Fairfax Four Miler


2014 2013 2012 2011
 swim  140 182 110 95
 bike   573 1440 997 1029
 run  342 390 393 261
 brick  83 382 233 350
 race  136 304 268 130
 other  87 33 21 80
 total  1361 2731 2022 1945

This year other is made up of 68 mountain bike miles, 15 walking miles, and the remainder was considered 'other'. I have no idea what those other miles were! Maybe next year mountain biking will get it's own line! 

In 2014 I swam a lot - up till June 8 when I did the Bay Swim. In my recap, I noted that as of race day I had swam a total of 92 miles! So I only swam another 58 for the rest of the year. Last year I swam more - but that's probably because I kept up the swim volume until Ironman Wisconsin in early September. 

You can certainly tell by my numbers I did not train for or race an Ironman in 2014! And looking back at bike miles from 2011-2013, I sure did far less bike miles in 2011 and 2012 than 2013! This year I had about a third of the miles that I had in 2013. 

As for run miles, they've stayed fairly consistent. Actually, for a non Ironman year, they seem high, as I did not have nearly the long run volume as in the past three years. My longest race(s) was the two back to back half marathons back in mid-March, as I recapped about here. After those two races I shifted my focus to short distance, where it has remained.  

Speaking of not racing Ironman this year, look how my brick miles dropped off! 

One thing I have not done with swim~bike~run is set distance / training goals for the following year. I'm not sure I could even begin to. For now it will just be fun to compare the years and note anything remarkable about the year.

Next up is the Fairfax Four Miler. I had planned to run the Resolution Race 10K on January 1, but now I'm not so sure that will happen. I had rolled my ankle right after Thanksgiving, and ended up taking two and a half weeks off running let let it heal, which it has done for the most part. I think back to back races would not be smart going into the New Year where I have a big goal for late March. Priorities! However, there is a little 5K I might consider on Sunday, January 4... Stay tuned! 

Happy and Healthy Training!


3 comments:

Kimberly Westrich said...

What is bricking?

gmgizmo9 said...

During triathlon training we do brick workouts - a bike ride followed immediately by a short run. This gets the body used to it for race day. Most of my Ironman training had me do a short run after every long bike ride. Even for the short tri races I do brick, but the volume is way down.

Kimberly Westrich said...

That makes sense! Thanks for the explanation :)