Monday, January 6, 2014

Back-to-Back New Years Races Recap

This was my third year of the Back-to-Back New Years Races! Well, as stated the other day, I had not been running in nearly a month prior to these races. How bad could it really be? 

First up - the Fairfax 4 Miler, which is a great way to kick off New Year's Eve if you ask me. It starts and finishes at the Old Town Hall in Fairfax and then there is pizza afterwards! What's not to love? And I *love* pizza! My TrainingPeaks schedule said to run this one fast and hard. Oops. How fast and hard could I actually go after my lack of training? Well, it turns out, just about a minute slower than last year. I'll take it! I had fun and wearing my AUsome rabbit ears got some shouts out. Saw a few friends/Team Z peeps before and after as well. And of course went with my Rabbit-mate Carol and Rabbittears Lisa and Steve! Race one - a success! 

Second - the Resolution Race 10K, again a great way to kick of the New Year. Even more so if you ran 4 miles hard the night before! Seriously, this course is a hard one! But it feels so great to finish it! There's the start and finish which is on a grass hill. Downhill to start so uphill to finish. Sweet! Then there is some regular road, some gravel road, and some muddy road! And more hills! After my lack of running prior to the race I decided I would not have a time goal but a goal of a different sort. This goal was to not walk any of the hills! Well, not to walk any of the course! Aside from a moment at the beginning  where I walked a couple steps to fix my watch and then the two water stops on the course, I did not walk! Went to race two again with Rabbit Carol, and our friend Kathy! Race two - also a success! Team Rabbit made their website on the registration page!

Goal for next NYE: don't stop running after the fall racing season ends! 

Stay tuned for some exciting news! 

Next up: Auburn Half Marathon, 1/18


No comments: