Monday, July 9, 2012

Plan B...the heat’ll do that!

Back in high school there was some kind of ‘riot’ and we had a thing that I think the principal called Riot – Plan B...
And speaking of high school: Two weekends ago was my 30th high school reunion. Friday night was a pub crawl: four different bars in Old Town Alexandria. So I did not have to worry about drinking and driving I got a room at the hotel where the actual reunion was to be held the next night. I made it to two of the four bars before calling it a night. That night our area was hit with a derecho(!) and many places, including the hotel and my house, lost power. Saturday morning I headed home and even tried to go to the pool but that was without power. The reunion fesitivites for Saturday were cancelled because of the lack of power and they opted for Plan B – meeting at one of the bars from the night before as an back up plan. I was not up for another night at the bar (it was also starting later) as I had to get up early for a bike ride and had not really been able to clean up.


Turns out my training pal, Carol, was going for pizza at an air conditioned place and I joined her and her husband. While we were there it turns out that their power was turned on. Carol invited me over for the night which I took her up on. It was good too as I have no idea how I would have been able to find all my stuff in the dark in the morning! I had a hard enough time going home that night while it was still a bit light out finding my stuff!


Sunday morning we woke at 3:40 to get on the road by 4:30...but we had some delays meeting up with Pam because of construction issues. We got about an hour or so late start but were finally on our way. We were to ride 80 miles out of Culpeper but due to the heat and the later start we opted to stop at 64 miles. We were OK with that! Later that day at my house – my power was back by then – we managed to have a nice little cook out!


My son missed out on all the fun, too!


Wednesday , July 4, I typically meet at a local swimming pool with a group of friends to do a free, laid back, sprint-distance triathlon. This year, due to the aforementioned derecho this had been cancelled as the pool had no power and could not run the pump. Well it turns out Team Z/Curl-Burke was having their regular Wednesday swim practice at 6:30. Me and Carol and Leanne did the swim practice then did about a 14.5 mile bike ride followed by a 3.1 mile trail run. So it was not quite the tri we had planned but a good back-up. Or Plan B! Also, Carol and I had the opportunity to test out the rabbit ears on our run!


This past weekend we had taper workouts. Saturday I had an 8 mile run and met Carol for an out and back on the Mt. Vernon trail starting from .... It was crazy warm...ok, hot...and we agreed to start at the crack of dawn. We were off and running by 6:15! It was odd to be done by 8:30! I stopped at the grocery store and Starbucks on my way home and it was even odder to be basically doing nothing by mid-morning on a Saturday!

Sunday was a 50 mile hilly ride. Again we rode out of Culpeper. If it is possible, it was even hotter this time! We were off and riding just before 7:00. Thank goodness, too, because it was just crazy hot out. I’ve never dripped so much sweat on any one training session. I guess the heat'll do that! Round Hill Road was particularly ‘fun’ yesterday. Then, the last 10 miles – specifically the first 6.6 of those 10 miles were pretty brutal. There is a long stretch on Sperryville Turnpike and at this point there was a good portion of false flat that was exposed to the sun. I was so happy to turn off that road! One exciting note: I recently got some race wheels for Trixie. Thanks to Patti for the info and discount! This was the first ride I got to test them on. I can't tell if they make me any faster but they did feel nice! Thanks to Kathy for lending me the tools and showing me how to change out the rear cassette!

After the ride we did a short run after then went for pizza on the way home. Of course, once we got home Carol and I thought it would be fun to swim! So we suited up and headed to my pool that was more like a bath and tried to do some laps. We made it through 2000 meters before calling it quits. The water was just way too warm.


This morning was my fifth and final trip the the endodontist for root canal therapy. Now the average root canal apparently takes 2-3 visits. My tooth (6-year molar on the bottom right) was annoyingly tricky and took extra visits! Yikes! Next stop is the dentist in 3 weeks for a new crown. Woohoo! At least it is after Ironman Lake Placid...which is now 13 days away...


Finally, Carol and I have finished our masterpiece! The rewrite of the lyrics to Lazy Sunday, which we are calling Race Day, Sunday! Stay tuned...


Happy and Healthy Training!


Next Up:


Ironman Lake Placid

No comments: