Thursday, April 21, 2011

I am tired...

I am so tired and don’t really know why. I have tried hard this week to get more sleep. I’ve blown off my workouts every day. I. Am. Tired. Maybe it is allergy related? But, It is Thursday – and of course I am as always So Happy It’s Thursday. I *will* make it to swim tonight. Maybe a second workout will be in the works, too. Maybe I’m just worried about my puppy?


Riley was scheduled to be spayed about a month ago but she went into heat, so I had to postpone things. That was actually a blessing in disguise. I dropped Riley off Friday morning – she was not to have any food after 9PM. Heck, she did not eat dinner and I felt so bad! It was so very hard letting her go – I was teary eyed! It was almost worse then when my sons were little boys and I took them in for a shot or something. Anyway, the vet called at a little after 1 PM Friday to say everything went well. What a relief!


So, Saturday was to be the first triathlon of the season: Rumpus in Bumpass International! And in true Team Z fashion, serious rain was predicted for Saturday. That was the day I was racing! Awesome!! Of course, there was nothing I could do, other than sit it out, but as it was to be a training day for me, I figured good practice, right?


Friday night I had a yummy dinner of a Chipotle chicken burrito, but skipped the usual corn. Saturday morning seemed to get here early (ha) and I was up and at ‘em before 5AM. I went up to get dressed for the race (tri stuff and HR strap) but could NOT find my HR strap! I knew I had laid it out the night before...I lost 5 minutes finding it stuck in my Z hoodie...


Off to load the car and get Jeff, who was doing his first tri ever!! I had made a mini bagel with Nutella to eat in the car along with my coffee. We were on the road at 6AM! Right on schedule. We did make a stop halfway to use the restrooms but we pulled into the race site at 7:40. Not too bad. Right as we started to unload the car...the rain started. lol On to packet pick up...


We got through packet pick up easily enough – I was so glad we arrived early! We dropped our stuff in transition then headed back to the car to drop what we did not need till post race. Then it was back to the Team Z tent city to get ready to wetsuit up. I also had a second breakfast of half of a regular bagel with Nutella with some Gatorade. Following is the write-up I sent my coach, Melissa:


Things that worked:
- Got my full-sleeved wetsuit on OK and did not experience shoulder fatigue – and despite having my arm warmers on underneath (did NOT want to struggle getting those up with damp arms!).
- Dressed perfect for the bike – tri top and shorts plus arm warmers.
- Had changed my shades to have clear lenses – perfect!
- Ditched the arm warmers for the run – smart as the sun came out for a bit and I get warm easily.
- Managed the run with little foot pain, made myself slow when I was too fast early on; walked the water stations and a couple other very short times (cone to cone) and of course walked the mudslide areas (two ditches and the path in the trees).
- Took in water and Heed on the run course; slow but felt good!


Things that did not work:
- Despite finding a landmark for transition beforehand, could NOT locate my bike after the swim; dropped my goggles; ended up looking for 673 as opposed to 763. Um, I was a mess!
- Getting my wetsuit off; had to sit – kind of hilarious actually (T1 never rocks for me even without wetsuit).
- Took one Gu on the bike – probably should have had a second. Felt tired during second loop – especially on the uphills.
- HR monitor was not working on the bike – not sure why; used cadence as a guide and kept RPMs at 90+ for the most part.
- In T2 – got my hair caught in someone else’s aeorbars when bent over when trying to stand up, more hilariousness.


Things I could not control:
- The weather (hahahaha)
- The swim course – buoys were all over the place, not one of my better swims but I felt good at least.
- Got kicked in the eye during the swim!

Overall:
6/13 in age group (but 5th due to the DQ of the actual person who was 5th ) – only 10 women in age group finished though – one quit after swim; two after bike.
3/13 in swim
10/13 in bike
8/13 in run

All in all I felt good at the finish!


Monday after work it was time to go get my Riley puppy! I had spoken to the vet and we agreed she might do well with a sedative as she was true to her name and pretty riled up! I picked her up at 4:30 and though they had given her the sedative at 2:30 you would not have known it. Then. We got home easily and she was happy to be home and settled. A couple hours later - yeah, the sedative hit! She did not eat dinner nor drink any water. I figured she'd be better in the morning. Not so. Fortunately this week my son has been home on Spring Break so she was not alone. Good timing! Tuesday I spoke to my son and she still had not eaten or drank anything. Darn! I phoned the vet to see what they thought and they suggested I bring her in for a quick check. After work I went to get her and she was so excited when I walked in the door you wouldn't have know anything was wrong! Well, we got here there by about 5PM - she was so excited to go there, too! Turns out, she was just slighly spoiled - they had given her some canned food mixed with her dry to get her to eat over the weekend. My vet put down some canned in a bowl and she totally inhaled it. They sent me home with three cans of food...


So, my foot - which felt good at the end of the Rumpus in Bumpass still feels good. Now it is only 10 days until the Flying Pig Half Marathon! I am really looking forward to my quick trip to Cincinnati! I have a cute pair of pink shorts to wear - if they fit. If not, oh well...I won't dwell on that. I do have pig ears and a pig headband to wear!


Happy and Healthy Training!


No comments: