Monday, February 1, 2010

Snow and Spinervals!

Since Patrick's Virginia Tech meet for Friday / Saturday was cancelled he was going to run in the local meet. On Saturday morning I dropped him off at the school at about 6:00 or so, then went home to think about going running myself. I had 10 miles to log.

Finally, after watching a movie, at about 8:30 I started preparing to leave. Right before I got ready to walk out the door it started snowing. Very lightly, teeny little flakes. So pretty! I grabbed a visor to keep the flakes out of my eyes and set off. I planned to run out to where I could to two loops of some hilly-ish streets before heading home, figuring I'd need to swing by the track at the high school to make up any additional mileage. The track is then a mile from home. It was snowing pretty 'nicely' as I was finishing up the first loop. I figured it was only going to keep snowing - and probably harder - and decided to head straight for the school to do some laps at the track then head home. I could not see the lines on the track as I ran around it. Right after I got there Jeff showed up for his run and we finished the first mile at the track about the same time. He was headed home, so I decided to follow him there, for a total of 6.6 miles outside. Once I got home I went on down to the basement for another 3.4 miles on the treadmill. I sure wished I started an hour earlier...I could have done it all outside! Oh well...

On Sunday the snow kept me from going swimming. I did however shovel some snow...I guess that was a bit of a workout. Must have been - I have a ache in my back. :-/

Anyway, after shoveling the snow I decided I would spin...so I picked one of the three
Spinervals DVDs and got started. I used the one called "Big Gear Strength" and a lot of the time was spent in the big ring! About 2/3 or so of the way through it Coach Troy Jacobson had 'us' get off our bikes for lunges... Um, I never do lunges...and after the first set of 10 on each leg probably won't do them again for a while. The left leg was fine, it was when I moved to the right leg that I got a funny little twinge in my left knee. So back on the bike I went to just spin during the remaining lunges. Once everyone else (from the video) was back on their bikes it was time for a little more big ring work before the cool down. I must say, this was fun! Not quite as fun as being at =PR= with Margie and other people in real life, but I definitely worked hard!

In the afternoon I went to my dad's house to sort of 'take inventory' and start the mucking out process. I need to empty it out and get some work done so that I can see about getting a tenant in there. :-( Anyway, I brought home six large bags of trash. My friend Lisa came over the help...it was nice. Patrick came too but he only shoveled the snow there...

Last night it was concert time.... We saw Trace Adkins (for the second time in 5 months) and Martina McBride. They were awesome! It was at the Patriot Center and I really liked the venue - much smaller than Nissan Pavilion (now called Jiffy Lube Live!?) or Verizon Center, but I really liked it. And it was still quite loud! Bonus: we got out of there without a problem and were home in 15 minutes!


Tonight is more lifting fun and a 4 mile easy run. I might try the nice, new treadmills at my gym this time!

No comments: