Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rainy days...

Rainy days and workouts. Ugh! I trained both days in the rain this past weekend. Well, mostly. On Sunday I ran a 5K in z2 and after I got home I did 5 additional miles (as opposed to the 10 required per my PT) and it was sunny and 70. Now THAT was nice!

On Saturday I drove to Germantown to meet the team for my 56 mile ride...55.1 miles actually. Not bad since we were only scheduled for 50! :-) Ed's e-mail that morning said the rain was clearing out...but it was pretty wet the entire time. I was soaked, my feet were soaked and cold. I had brought bags for my feet and decided against using them (why now, I have no idea?), and regretted it. LOL My hands stayed warm and dry though, thanks to my winter riding gloves. And my upper half was pretty warm through most of the ride in fact. I was just wet. And splattered with dead worm pieces that looked like mucus. That was pretty disgusting. There were dead/dying worms all over the parking lot before we left...they must have been all over the roads, too... There were some squished frogs, too...and I think a few other dead things. Anyway, having recently had the VO2Max done for the bike, I tried so hard to stay in zone. It was VERY difficult. Almost every hill put me above. Maybe I should have walked those? But I finished even if I was super slow. :) Anyway, this time I remembered to bring a change of socks along with all the other dry clothes so I could have something warm for my feet after. Yay!

Anyway, today I ordered a new rear cassette for my bike that will hopefully make hill climbing a tad easier. And I know I need to do hill repeats.... One thing at a time. I'm also getting new wheels for my bike, too. So I'm very excited. The bad news - the cassette is on back-order. I may look for it elsewhere if it is going to be super delayed...

Sunday my son and I went to the Scope It Out 5K where I was a polyp with a lot of the team. We were 'polyps' and the shirts say "Catch the Polyp" which is what you are supposed to do for colon cancer. Every year our team volunteers as polyps! This meant I ran for free but 'untimed' and got a cool red long sleeve t-shirt and a not so cool red hat out of it. My son has claimed the t-shirt as he plans to use this for track practices. He does not seem to mind running in cotton... Anyway, he raced the 5K and broke 20 minutes for the first time in a road race. His best 5K during cross country however was 18:20.45! Anyway, I was excited for him...he was 4th in his age group, too. We did not stick around too long after, as I promised him we could go home so he could play World of Warcraft...

We stopped for lunch at McDonald's on the way home. I am hooked on the Chipotle BBQ Crispy Snack Wrap... After a couple hours and a couple of loads of laundry I went out for my second run of the day... it was worth the wait because it really was gorgeous out! I ran my 5 miles then cleaned up and took my son who holds a fairly new learner's permit to drive out for his first drive with me. (His dad has taken him a couple of times, too.) It was nice - he did not scare me at all!

Sunday night I went to the JCC in Annandale to do laps and work on form. I swam about 1700 meters. It is amazing how much 'longer' a pool that is 25 meters seems when you are used to swimming in a pool that is 25 yards!

My goal this week is to get all the work outs in. I am even planning on going to the track workout tomorrow morning - April Fool's Day - at 6:30! And this better NOT be a joke! Besides, I've already received my first April Fool's prank...

2 comments:

Es --- IRONMAN! said...

What was the prank????

gmgizmo9 said...

I posted a picture of it on FB - I received a 'jury duty notification'. So funny!