Monday, November 10, 2014

Race Report: It's a Bridge Thing!

This year I crossed the great Chesapeake Bay twice under my own power! 

On June 8 I swam 4.4 miles from Sandy Point State Park, under and between the bridge spans, to Hemingway's Marina.You can read my swim report, here!

Yesterday, I completed the inaugural Across the Bay 10K with Carol from Team Rabbit and our friends, Sally and Jeff! We had a grand time. You can read the Rabbit Recap Rap, hereThe course took us from the Northrop Grumman facility, across the Eastbound span of the bridge, to the Chesapeake Bay Business Park! 

So I call 2014 the 'Year of the Bridge': 
Side by Side Bridge Event Shirts!
It is always a little...unnerving, I guess, to do an inaugural event. Over the years I have done several. Most of the time they are fine but maybe there's a kink or two to be worked out. There's one inaugural race in the DC area in particular that was not so great. In fact, I did not even blog about it! It was only here one year, on December 3, 2011, then never came back. 

As the Across the Bay 10K loomed closer, I realized this was going to be a much bigger race, in terms of runners, than I had maybe originally thought. Then it crossed my mind that the logistics for this point to point race would make it difficult. I have to say, that this was so not the case! Everything went smoothly! I was bummed initially to hear there would not be a bag drop on race morning. I made adjustments for this and it was not an issue. 

The really cool thing for me was at the end, in addition to the cool finisher medal and space blanket that we received, they handed out a small bag of goodies. This was great for just putting stuff in and not having to juggle everything. I wish all races would hand a bag out at the finish line. They don't have to be special, just something to make it easier to carry all your 'stuff'! Believe me, the bag is such a little thing, but can make a huge difference. I had a hand held water bottle, gloves, my phone, and a few other items. But only have two hands. Sticking all this excess stuff in that bag made me one happy runner! 

Finally, here is a fun link to my finish video! It was a nice surprise to get this link by e-mail today!

Happy and Healthy Training!

Next Up: Fall Backyard Burn Race #5




2 comments:

Kimberly Westrich said...

Congratulations on swimming and running the Chesapeake Bay! You rock.

The logistics for this race really were phenomenal. I loved that bag at the end, too :)

gmgizmo9 said...

Thank you, Kim!! Yes - the logistics rocked! And the bag was fab! All RDs should do this!