Friday, October 7, 2011

AUsome! Or not...

My last posted talked about going down to see my younger son Patrick for Parents’ Weekend and a football game at Auburn University. It was AUsome! (That’s my way of spelling awesome!) I flew down on Friday night then met up with my ex on Saturday to drive down to see Patrick, go to the game, etc.

So, not quite a month and a half away and he is still the same old Patrick. It was great to see him! Finding him was a bit tricky and he was not at his dorm but ‘somewhere’ that we couldn’t find. We ended up parking at the McDonald’s in town and having him find us. Then it was off to lunch and to grab some snack foods before dropping him so he could meet up with his friends for the game while we went and experience the true Auburn game day festivities! We wandered around and just took in all the goings on while we wandered our way over to the Tiger Walk. This is where the fans line this one street that leads up to the stadium, which the team and associated folks walk through on their way 2 hours prior to game time. After that and a little bit of excitement from the cheerleaders and the band we went into the stadium to find our seats...

I kept saying, “I hope they aren’t in the top row!” all I knew is that we were in the upper deck on the home side on the far right...not knowing how many rows were there I had no idea. Yeah, we were in the third row from the top! It was AUsome! But they were pretty cool regardless and each trip up the steps got easier. Patrick had gotten into the student section pretty much diagonal across from us but in the lower section. He texted me to say he could see us. It was pretty funny – we were the *only* ones there at the moment.

I was really looking forward to the pregame stuff: The flight of the War Eagle (Nova – how appropriate!) and seeing the marching band. Neither one disappointed! Finally the team came on and the game got underway. The game was exciting, but not as exciting as it would have been if we’d been watching them play against another SEC team. Note to self for next season...
Of course we all assumed they’d win and it would be a big win, but not so much! I got a little stressed at the end! We caught up with Patrick pretty quickly afterwards and walked to the car so we could go find some dinner. Driving through town right up to Toomer’s Corner. The Toomer’s Oaks were already covered with toilet paper. AUsome Victory!


We tried to go into a barbeque place but could not hear what the bouncer said. The music was crazy-loud! We went into the pizza place next door and had to nearly fight for a table but succeeded and had some pretty tasty pizza!

Sunday morning we got Patrick for breakfast and had to try two different Waffle Houses before we got to sit down (at the counter no less) to eat! It was nuts! So many people in town (FACT: On game day Auburn becomes the fifth largest cisty in Alabama) had the same idea! Then it was off to get me back to the airport.

After arriving home things became not so AUsome... Tuesday (September 27) I woke up with a sore throat. Things went downhill from there and I ended up with a pretty good sinus infection that I am still fighting off! I have done barely a lick of training since before I went to Auburn. Oh well, I figure with all my rest I’ll be very rested for the half iron distance triathlon I’m going to tri to do tomorrow. Yikes!

But for some good news: Patrick is coming home for a weekend on November 4th!

And even better news: Andrew is coming home tomorrow for the weekend! Bonus: He got a great job down in Mooresville and needs to pick up his tool chest!

Happy and HEALTHY Training!


Next Up: Waterman's Half.

Yikes = 44 days till Ironman Arizona!!

No comments: